Mum's tips for using pacifiers and soothers
- It is natural for your baby to suck, so this is why they like pacifiers.
- Sucking can help calm and comfort your baby if a cuddle is not enough and many parents decide to give their babies pacifiers.
- Once you find a pacifier that your baby is happy with, you will probably find they will want to keep with this design and reject others.
- For hygiene and safety reasons, you should change your baby's pacifier every four weeks.
- Always make sure the pacifiers are clean before you give to your baby
- Always inspect the pacifier before you give it to your baby, and replace if it is worn or torn in any way.
- Never dip the pacifier into sweet substances because it will damage their teeth.
- Never attach ribbons or cords to your soother.
- It's a good idea to keep a couple of spare pacifiers close by so always have a sterile one available to soothe your baby quickly.
Moving them off the pacifier or soother
- Slowly does it. Slowly reduce the amount of time your baby uses the pacifier, this will help to move them off gradually with minimum upset.
- Other Soothing techniques. Distract your baby with a fun activity or toy. When they are upset soothe them with cuddles and music often works.
- Trade it in. For older children who understand, trade the pacifier for a new toy. Take them to store and make it an adventure.
- Time to grow up. Surround your child with friends that don't have a pacifier, but don't make fun of them this could distress them more. Try to explain that the other children are growing up like adults and your child should try it too.
Nuby™ have a wide range of pacifiers offering you every shape, size and design so you can find always find one that your baby will like. They all come with the famous Nuby™ nubs that massage sensitive gums and offer ultimate soothing and comforting for your baby.
Check out our wide range of Natural Flex pacifiers that stretch, flex and move like a mum's breast OR our traditional cherry and orthodontic shapes ALL in great colours and design.